Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Threesome at Disney

Disney’s got it all figured out: Disney succeeds in theme parks based on fantasy that remediates reality, yet manages to create a whole new kind of reality founded in nostalgia and “transparency and authenticity of emotion.” Bolter and Grusin explain that Disney success is largely due to the ultimate triple threat: “Disney television, film, and theme parks each make their own promise of authenticity of experience even as they validated the promise of the other two” (172). This threesome works collectively to ensure Disney’s never-ending place in this world. I’ve never personally been a huge Disney fan but I do like a few of their movies (UP made it on my all-time top 20 movie list), and going to the theme park usually culminates in a negative and crowded experience. Still, I went to Disneyland 4 times over the past 12 months (note: every time was free) and I’ll probably take my kids there too. I’m not exactly sure what it is but Disney’s spell is strong, and if it doesn’t have you it’s got someone dear to you. Muhaha.

No comments: