Monday, October 6, 2008

"They Say / I Say" Preface - p.38

It is widely known that to construct a sturdy building strong enough to withstand the elements of weather and disasters both natural and unnatural the planning must begin with the development of a strong foundation. One must work from the bottom up, section by section, moving on to the next task only when the current piece is appropriately put in place. In They Say / I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing, authors Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein assert that the same attention to detail is necessary when it comes to writing in any sphere, public or private. Whether writing argumentatively or for summary, a well-written text is made up of parts that serve a specific and calculated purpose. These parts combine to create a whole text that successfully delivers a writer's intended message. When done in a proper fashion this completed text can withstand the elements of criticism and maintain a solid line of communication to its reader. Even when it comes to the foundation of the book, "they say" and "I say" are presented as two separate entities absolutely bound together to lay the foundation for better writing. Graf and Birkenstein insist, "You need to enter a conversation, using what others say (or might say) as a launching pad or sounding board for your own ideas" (3), and offer a compilation of "templates" to aid in achieving such entrance. In turn, the templates themselves are exemplary of the importance of each specific part in writing.

Who knew entering grad school meant relearning to write? But then again, in the back of my mind I always had a lingering notion that a couple steps backward is sometimes necessary in order to take 5 steps forward. Right when I was on the brink of plunging into the glorious depths of imaginative and creative writing, set on sending professors into states of sweet surrender, I get smacked in the face with the reality-check that maybe I should learn to write first. The way Graff and Berkenstein break down the form, reason and logic of academic writing puts me in awe. I look forward to reading further and learning more about the strategic moves of writing. They say, here are some established forms for you to use as imaginatively as you can. And I say, "O-kay!"

What it's boiling down to so far is that a body is only as good as its limbs and a hand as good as its fingers. In the same way, a piece of writing may only be as good as its moves...so move accordingly.

2 comments:

Dreds71 said...

I like your building block analogy. It seems to stem from the more visceral, physical, in that semiotic notion of planting ideas, in the form of scratches, on paper somehow constitutes tangibility.
Drawing a parallel between the two gives another avenue toward understanding of the construction of a paper.

Anonymous said...

Thomas -

I like your honesty about relearning how to write feels like taking 5 five steps back. Personally, I always feel awkward in school so this book, which claims to give me all the tools, doesn't bother me at all. You nailed it whne you said "a well-written text is made up of parts that serve a specific and calculated purpose."